Thursday, June 01, 2006

Carpentry Thursday

Last night at about 8pm, there was an update on MMORPG RuneScape. And guess what it is?

It is Constructing and POHs (Player Owned Houses)!! :D Devoted RuneScape players will remember that Jagex, the company that produced RuneScape, had promised POHs and a new skill, Carpentry, which is about making furniture for houses, since six years ago, when RuneScape was still RuneScape Classic. The idea was canceled, but players around the world continued to wait loyally for it. And finally, after six long years, it has finally arrived!!

Carpentry was renamed Constructing, because there are more than furnitures that you can build in your house. Other than the normal chairs, tables, benches, bookshelves, beds, drawers and what not, you can build ovens, sinks, rugs, clocks, workshops, games, displays, duelling arenas, teleportation portals, churchs, tablets, trees, plants, throne, dungeons, traps and treasure chests! But that's not all, you can hire servants to serve you and monsters to guard your treasure!!

Of course, the new skill was fun indeed. When I read the news, I was so excited about it that I quickly forgot about my current duty and goal (killing Chaos Druids for herbs so I can get Level 63 Herblore to brew Super Stat Restore Potions), throw my weapon and armour into the bank and run (I mean charge, no, I mean rush, no, I mean hurry, no, dash, no, blitz, no, haste, no, race, no, speed, no, surge, ok, ok, I teleported, happy? :P) to Varrock to buy myself a new house.

Like every other player just beginning Constructing, my house is on Rimmington. I quickly started work, building three chairs, a rug, two bookshelves, a fireplace and some curtains on my parlour, and also cleared the weeds and planted some plants and trees in my garden. After that was cleared, I set up a kitchen west of my parlour, building a table, larder, sink, shelf, stove, beer barrel (Peter, one of my friends, is an addicted alcoholic beer drinker. Wouldn't want him hitting people because of lack of alcohol, would we? :P) and a cat basket (although I don't have a cat o.O).

After the kitchen, I built a dining room north of the kitchen. With it, I built a dining table, two dining benches, decorate with some decorations, curtains and a fireplace, and ended with building a bell pull, which summons your servant. Strange, why would I want to build it? I don't have a servant yet. o.O

As a professional fletcher, crafter and blacksmith, I obviously needed a workshop in my house that suits my needs. Obviously I quickly built one, east of my dining room. With a workbench, several machines to make heraldic items, a repair bench, a whetstone, a crafting table and some tool stores. :D

Next, I started building a bedroom. As my servant would require one too if I were to hire one, I started building two bedrooms. My bedroom is east of the workshop, while my servant's bedroom is east of the parlour. Our bedrooms are adjacent and connected. I quickly built a bed using planks, nails and cloths, a wardrobe, a dresser, a fireplace, a clock and a rug. I also used some cloths to make curtains.

After the bedrooms, I built a Skill Hall north of the dining room. Its main purpose is for me to show off some of my skill achievements. :P Sadly, the requirements are quite high, so I can rarely get anything up for display. I am working on mounting a big bass and a basilisk head though. ;)

Next, I built a Games Room east of the Skill Hall. Due to my limited constructing ability, I was only able to make a hoop and stick game, an Elemental Balance game and a prize chest that gives a prize to whoever wins the games. :D

Then, I built a Combat Room north of the Skill Hall. I made a Boxing Ring and a Gloves Rack, as well as some decorations. :D

Next, I built a Quest Hall upstairs, above my Skill Hall. Its main purpose is for me to show off some of my questing achievements. :P Sadly, the requirements are quite high too, so I can rarely get anything up for display. I though had a portrait of King Arthur though. :D Working to mount a map of Misthalin, the sword Excalibur, an Amulet of Glory and a landscape of Lumbridge. :D

After my house was built, I started to invite people. Among some strangers whom I talked to in Rimmington, I also invited some friends, namely Peter, Stefan and Surfazinraw (whom kinda dislike people calling him by his real name ).

Peter hanged out at my kitchen and dining room most, refilling mugs after mugs of beer and knocking down my benches and tables. :P

Stefan was at my Skill and Quest Halls, looking at the empty walls as if they are full of display. :P

Surfazinraw went to the Games and Combat Room, ready to dominate.

Oh well, back to constructing. I still have to hunt Basilisks for its head.

No comments: