Sunday, March 18, 2007

Cycling Trip With Yujun II

Continuing our (us as in Yujun and me) cycling trip to East Coast Park, we went on another one, using a different route.

At 12.10pm, I was reading School Rumble manga, when Yujun called, reminding that we promised to next week go to East Coast Park the previous week (which is today). And I was like "Oh, shit, I forgot about it, and I still have homework not done yet!" He scolded a few vulgarities, and I had to go along with him.

At 12.20pm, I set off. Here is the route:



As you can see from the map, I actually wanted to travel along a path adjacent and parallel to the PIE, but most parts of the path (which I used a long time ago to get to Yujun's house for cycling trips, though that was really a long time ago, when we had nakama like Yuchi, Caleb and Wenjia to go with us on our trips) were under construction, so I had to navigate through the roads among the HDB flats, lol. Was sort of afraid to get lost (too lazy to just take out the map from my bag and check XD). Finally, after about half of the way, the path is finally not under construction, so I can take the familar path to Yujun's house.

Reached Yujun's house at 12.45pm. He invited me to his house, where Yuchi was doing his homework (some English composition). While waiting for Yujun to get ready for the trip, I was reading newspaper and then Yuchi's Pure History textbook, lol. Wow, Pure History really IS Pure History. I mean, us Elective History students don't even get to learn about the Cuban Missile Crisis, but they do! -.-

At about 1.20pm, we were ready and left (Yujun took $20 from his father, lol). Map time. Points of interest are denoted with big dark blue squares.



After leaving, we went to the convenience store near his house to buy drinks. He bought a 1.5 litres bottle of mineral water, while I bought a bottle of 100-Plus with the same volume.

Second square is where Yujun attempted to cross the road, originally wanting to head to East Coast through the route we took last week, before I persuaded him to 'try out new routes'. :)

We at first wanted to rest at Bedok Reservoir (not in the water, on a bench near the water, damn it), thinking that the 'park connector' would go through the reservoir. But then, when reaching the reservior, we had a choice of whether to turn left or right. Left is the pedestrian route parallel to the road for cars that I know would bring us to the reservoir. On the other hand, right leads downhill, and I can see from a distance that there is an uphill to the reservoir a few metres away. Thinking that right leads downhill then uphill to the reservoir, I took right, Yujun following me. Turns out the route turned left, went under the road and brought us to the start of the park connector, completely ignoring the reservoir. There goes our rest point lol. We took a break on a bench somewhere along the connector.

Third square marks where we had our second break, feeling awfully tired by now, a situation not helped by the critically hot weather. We rested for a long time, me gulping down large volumes of water. There, we also confirmed our location and whether we are going the right way or not, and I took out my earphones to listen to my MP3 player as well. After about ten minutes, we headed off.

Between the third and forth squares, you may think, "Did we run across the expressway?" Nah, of course not! There was an overhead bridge, duh. While approaching the bridge (there were no stairs, only a slope. Makes sense, since it is placed in the intersection points of an expressway [cars would not use overhead bridges, dude, they use flyovers] and a park connector [most users are cyclists]), there was a downhill, then all the way up the bridge. During the downhill, I charged and accelerated, cycling up the bridge and ignoring the 'Please push your bicycle along the bridge' or something like that sign (not like anyone would actually care rofl). Upon reaching about 40% of the 'slope' to the main part of the bridge, I got tired, hopped out and pushed. Yujun was struggling to get up with his rollerblades, and I could tell he used a lot of energy for it, lol. There were signs on the bridge that stated 'No cycling', and I pointed that out to Yujun. On the other side of the bridge, an old uncle happens to be cycling up the 'slope', so we were both like "Oi, uncle, no cycling lah!" XD

Forth square marks the end of the overhead bridge. There were four 'slopes' that go 'zig-zag' over a short distance [hard to explain it like this, lol]. Did not have the confidence to turn around to use the next 'slope' while preventing a crash, so before I reached the end of a 'slope', I had to brake, lol. That seriously reduced the high speed I could have enjoyed riding 'downhill', lol. It was still enjoyable anyway, lol, the wind blowing, as well as not needing to pedal. Some distance in the park connector was a high (in height) and short (in distance) bump. Yujun was cursing, lol, while I was accelerating in speed to overcome the obstacle. The downhill part really boosted the speed I needed lol.

In the fifth square on the map, we had to pass a traffic light on the road. I was like "Want to jay?" Obviously, Yujun isn't one to be obedient for someone shit like that, so we jaywalked (or rather, 'jaycycled' and 'jayrollerbladed' XD) past the road, two cars quite a distance away horning at us. Lol, we aren't stupid enough to get knocked down by you noobs, buddy.

Approaching the sixth square, I was like "Jaywalking is our middle name." 8) Of course, we jaywalked. After the road, Yujun wanted to go left, when the park connector is to the right, lol. Obviously, I pointed out the mistake to him. Talk about lack of a sense of direction. :P

In the seventh square, I was looking around and was like "Hey, this road seems familiar." when actually it intercepts the route we took last week. XD He pointed it out to me, though. Lack of traffic lights and zebra crossing made us unable to jaywalk, as it is completely legal to cross the road. :( (XD) There were a large volume of traffic of course, so we had to wait a while.

In the eighth square, there were many fishermen (what the hell? Obviously they are fishing) on the bridge, while Yujun and I sat down for a break. Wow, we found a good fishing spot.

Then, we took a short part of the road that happens to be exactly the same as last week's route. There, we saw the park connector again, which was damn loooooooooooooooooooong and boring. Yujun wanted to take it again, but I refused, suggesting we take the route Yujun suggested we take last week. He agrees and we reversed.

Somewhere along the long route, there was a lack of a route for pedestrian, so I got off my bike and walked along with him (walking on his rollerblades) in the grass. There were two cars on the grass, ironically one at the start point of the grass route (where the pedestrian route 'disappears') and the other at the end point (where the pedestrian route appears again). First car has a driver playing with his PDA, while the second car was parked (or we could say abandoned *shifty eyes* poor car :( ) and empty.

Nineth square is the bus stop outside Temasek Secondary. Before we reach the bus stop, we agreed to have a break there, when Yujun suddenly accelerated. Due to the fact that one of my ear is listening to music from my MP3, I could not rather effectively listen to what he was speaking. Wondering why he accelerated, I turned around, and to my horror, figured out the answer. THERE WAS A FREAKING BUS CHASING ME!!! Of course, I sped up like hell, not daring to stop, cursing with vulgarities loudly while I fled for my life. XD Finally seeing a slope ahead that connects the road (I did not go up the pedestrian route from the 'grass route' like Yujun, as bicycles are not suitable to go up heights without damage, if you get what I mean XD), I headed it and reversed to the bus stop, taking a break. Another bus stopped, and when the door opened, a strong cold gale of cooling breeze gushed out of it and refreshed us. Was really enjoyable, the air conditioning, after a long period of cycling under the hot hot sun. ;)

We continued. Somewhere, before turning left, we took a break in a bus stop. Upon seeing a bus stopping, I hurriedly rush towards the door, hoping for another gale of air con rushing out, lol. Nothing came out, and the bus driver was like, "Boy, you want to get aboard?" XD Yujun was sorta wondering what the heck was I doing before I explained, lol.

We turned left (south in other words) towards East Coast. Went and went and suddenly saw a barricade and the end of the pedestrian route, as the adjacent car road leads to ECP. We crossed the two roads (one for cars entering ECP and another for exiting), headed a short route passing the swimming pool of a condominium and to the tunnel passing ECP (rofl, I typo-ed ECP as EXP before correcting it XD). There, before the tunnel, we took a short break. I pointed out the 'no smoking' sign to Yujun at the start of the tunnel, and he imitated smoking, rofl.

Crossed the tunnel, went to the food court again, ordered a plate of oyster omelette (okay, now I know what to properly call it, instead of 'oyster with egg' XD) again, ordered two cups of lime juice, dug in, yeah.

Wanted to find the uncle from last week again. We remembered him telling us that he fishes in TEH ROCKs labeled 6, 12 and 16 (I could remember wrongly though). We went to TEH ROCK labeled 12, the one we went to last week, and saw two fishermen and a couple. Not wanting to disturb the couple, we headed right (right if you are at East Coast and looking at the direction of the sea. In other words, west), heading for 12. I found out at the next TEH ROCK that it was labeled 11 and we should be heading left if we wanted to go to 16. T_T Whatever, we went on, and after a while, decided to take a break on a bench. After a while, we got bored, so I called my father. He took his lorry to East Coast, I got my bike up, and we went to my house, where we played PlayStation2 and he played my Warcraft III. Lol.

Don't worry, guys, up to now, I still have not do my homework yet. XD Time to do it now, I suppose. *stares at homework for five seconds* How... the... fuck... do... you... do... ...Never mind *chucks it backwards where it lands in the toilet bowl* Settled. Time to play! Storm, earth and fire - Heed my call!!

*shifty eyes*

No comments: