Friday, October 26, 2007

History 'O' level



I like this cartoon of Gorbachev, lol. Burying the Cold War, the Arms Race, even the Soviet dictatorship, setting free the Eastern Europeans, then planting seeds of Democracy... XD

Sigh, I left my house at 1.10pm today, thinking of taking a detour to the bicycle shop first to use the air pump to fill the air in the tires of my bicycle. After a lot of effort and finally reaching there, displays a sign that said, "Air pump sent for repair." Great. =.=

Went to school, all tired and sweaty already (you try cycling out all the way to the bicycle shop fifteen minutes away to realize you went there for nothing, out under the hot sun at noon -.-). Vernon, Yoshida and Ephraim were already there sitting outside the classroom and revising History, lol, so I went and join them.

Sigh, I seriously wonder what would Stalin, Mao and Gorbachev think if they hear a couple of Singaporean kids refer to them as Staly, Mao-mao and Gorby... X(

Sean came later, and the five of us ended up sitting on chairs around a circle reading our History textbooks and testing each other's knowledge. XD

Everyone was discussing which section they wanted to do first, Source-Based or Structure-Essay. Initially, I didn't give much thought to it, thinking that I would do Source-Based first, since one, it IS the first section after all, and two, I've been following that habit all the time. However, they somehow convinced me to do Structure-Essay first, lol, stating reasons like "Structure-Essay is all memory work" and "I'm going to dump everything I memorize first in case I forget them", so, yeah. o.O

Just five minutes before the exam, Yoshida asked, "Why did the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor?" I replied, "Go and ask your ancestors, lol.", hoping that one of the pilots who took a plane, flew to Hawaii and participated in the Attack of Pearl Harbor has the family name Yoshida. XD

Wow. My seat was at the most behind, most left, and there are four cute girls sitting in front of me! Shiawase da!! XD XD

At the start of the exams, I went and check the Structure-Essay questions, wondering which one I should do, when I saw the first question on the topic about the War of Pacific: "Why did the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor (December 1941)?"

My mouth was opened so wide I think I can swallow an entire McChicken hamburger in one go.

Of course, I didn't know why, so I chose not to do the question about War in Pacific, instead opting to do about Gorbachev and the Collapse of Soviet Union.

If only I had read this Wikipedia article earlier... =.=

The pre-emptive strike's intent was to protect Imperial Japan's advance into Malaya and the Dutch East Indies – for their natural resources such as oil and rubber – by neutralizing the U.S. Pacific Fleet. Both the US and Japan had long-standing contingency plans for war in the Pacific, developed during the 1930s as tension between the two countries steadily increased, focusing on the other's battleships. Japan's expansion into Manchuria and later French Indochina were greeted with increasing levels of embargoes and sanctions from the United States. In 1940, the US halted further shipments of airplanes, parts, machine tools and aviation gas to Japan, which Japan interpreted as an unfriendly act. America continued to export oil to Japan, as it was understood in Washington that cutting off exports could mean Japanese retaliation. In the summer of 1941, the US ceased the export of oil to Japan due to Japan's continued aggressive expansionist policy and because an anticipated eventual American entrance to the war in Europe prompted increased stockpiling and less commercial use of gasoline. President Franklin D. Roosevelt had moved the fleet to Hawaii, and ordered a buildup in the Philippines, to reduce Japanese aggression in China and deter operations against others, including European colonies in Asia. The Japanese high command was certain any attack on the United Kingdom's colonies would inevitably bring the U.S. into the war. A pre-emptive strike appeared the only way Japan could avoid U.S. interference in the Pacific.

I think writing this whole chunk can easily get you all 12 marks. =________=

The Source-Based Questions are about the Russian Civil War. Just perfect, I hardly studied it.

Oh well, let's hope all the best for my results. :D

I finished the paper with ten minutes to spare out of the ninety minutes given, and I wasted it by writing stuff on one of the three extra pieces of paper I have. Yup, more planning on the game's battle system. ^_^ Guess I'll want to blog about it sometime so I have reference, haha.

Near the end of the paper, Fym raised her hand and asked for a string, but somehow, the invigilator does not know what a string is, so she said, "Huh? String? Oh, you meant a ribbon!!"


I sooooooooooo had no idea that we now call this a ribbon.

Of course, you can just imagine my reaction then, when I heard the invigilator called it a ribbon. It was something like this: Of course, it doesn't look good.

The others were giggling though, lol. It's nothing funny to be laughing about, guys, when our invigilator obviously has Alzheimer's disease (I laughed at myself when I mispelt it as:

, and yeah, the invigilator looked quite old). What if something goes wrong and she starts accusing all of us of cheating?! O.O *gulps*

No comments: