Friday, August 10, 2007

All Play and no Work

Damn, I can't believe that a week ago, I promised myself that I will use this period of four school-less days for revision of preliminary, but heck, the first two days had went to waste academic-wise... DX

I was feeling bored this morning, lol, so I went to play badminton with my two neighbours. I took two badminton rackets, lol, and once during the game, tried using both of them at once. Hey, I found I can use "Two-Swords-Style" in badminton, but my strength suffers, and I can only execute about 30% to 50% of my power, lol. Maybe I need to work more on it, but heck, who the hell trains himself in using two badminton rackets? XD

After that, they wanted to go and play at the playground, so I went with them. Gosh, I forgot how long I have last played in a playground, lol... I'd estimate about a year... XD And to think I was so mad about playing at playgrounds when I was a kid, exploring the neighbourhood with friends to find new playgrounds to play at... XD

After playing a while, we got bored and started playing tag, the two of them ganging up and chasing after me. Gosh, I forgot how long I have last played tag or any other variant of the game, lol... I'd estimate about two years for this... XD And to think I was so mad about playing tag when I was young too, rofl. Ice&Water (or Frozen Tag as they call it in other countries) is my favorite, lol. The only variants I have played are only tag (though I prefer calling it by what we call it here, "catching") and Ice&Water, and to be truthful, I prefer Ice&Water, lol. I find Catching confusing. You don't know when the Catcher has caught someone, especially in a big and large game with a great game area, so the Catcher may come up to you, lie to you that he or she is not the Catcher, get you to lower your guard, then catch you. It may be a game, all right, but I find that it makes one betray trusts. :S Nope, I prefer Ice&Water. The Ices are Ices, the Waters are Waters, the teams are fixed, the team members are fixed, no confusion. :)

Also, one aspect that I like about Ice&Water compared to Catching is teamwork. Catching is a rather selfish game. It's everyone for themselves, and there would be hardly anybody to come and save your ass when you find yourself persistently and constantly hunted by the Catcher. On the other hand, though, Ice&Water is about teamwork. Whichever team that doesn't work as a team is bound to lose.

The Waters cannot afford to lack teamwork, because to win the game, they must be willing to risk it, willing to make sacrifices, willing to venture into the "tiger's den", to save their teammates, to save their nakama, or else all would be lost. Okay, I'm making this a bit dramatic... XD But still, in your average game of Ice&Water, the Ices are bound to at least catch one Water. If the Waters don't save those captured, the game would just gradually proceed to be more and more difficult for the Waters, as their manpower diminishes by every time the Ices succeed. Which do you think is easier: Five people catching fifteen people, or four people catching three people (with the one Ice guarding the twelve captured Waters, of course)? :P I've played this game for years, and I can safely tell you this: Waters without teamwork are those selfish ones, and most of the time arrogant ones, who believe that he or she alone is able to avoid and evade every single thing the Ice throws at him or her, one that is able to outrun every single Ice and make sure the Waters win, not bothering to save captured Waters because that might get him captured, and his recognition as a "never-get-captured Water" jeopardized. These kinds of people find themselves unable to win. Of course, unless the team of Ices are filled with pathetic losers who start panting and walking after they ran five metres, and drop dead after fifteen. *rolls eyes*

Likewise, the Ices cannot afford to lack teamwork, too. In most normal games, the Ices will always be outnumbered. That's natural. You can't expect the five Waters to win when they have fifteen Ices breathing down their necks, can you? Since the Ices are outnumbered, it would be very difficult to capture the Waters if they do not coordinate. Trust me on this, I played as Ice almost eighty percent of the time I play Ice&Water, and I can safely tell you this: The game would work more smoothly with all of the Ices chasing after one target at once, rather than the Ices work solo, run in different directions and each find a separate target. This is especially crucial when it comes to guarding the captured Waters. Imagine this scenario: Five Ices against fifteen Waters. The five Ices each targeted a different Water, and start to chase them down. The best Ice catch a Water first, and so he's stuck to guarding the Water (please, for fuck's sake, do not expect him to run off and try to catch another one. The captured Water will just get saved, and the Ice's efforts, wasted and gone into the drain). The other weaker Ices, try as they might, may find themselves unable to catch the Waters. On the other hand, if the five Ices work together, they capture a Water, and they can assign the weakest member (although it sounds pretty insulting and harsh) to guard, while the four remaining then work together to capture the next Water. Trust me, this strategy will work much better. The four of them can then catch another Water together, and they know where the fifth Ice is guarding the captured Water, and take the second Water there. But of course, Ices should not always choose to stick around with each other, for three reasons. Firstly, if the Waters decide to hide, or if the game area is large and the Ices have no idea where the Waters is, going around hoping to find one together will be a waste of time. In that case, the Ices should split up and search together. However, they can still work together. How? When an Ice finds a Water, the Water will no doubt flee for his or her life. The Ice chases, and the two are bound to cross the paths of other Ices, in which those Ices will hop onto the battle and chase the Water together. Of course, if two or more Ices find two or more different Waters at different places around the same time, well, that's a different story. XD Secondly, for the element of surprise. Imagine, five Ices walking together and they find a Water. Obviously, they will all chase in the same general direction, unless they coordinate (though most of the time, when the Ices find a Water, they flush coordinating and coordination out of their minds and into the toilet bowls). However, if the five Ices were to split up, then an Ice finds a Water and chase. Running for his dear life, the Water passes a wall, and what the hell! An Ice hops out of nowhere and catches him! Ices find themselves more likely to succeed if they approach the Waters from different directions, hoping to surround him and limit the ways he can escape and flee. Lastly, a pack of Ices traveling together is bound to be seen more easily. Thus, the Waters would be alerted and would flee, before the Ices even detect the Water. I don't know about you, but if you find one person walking down the street more eye-catching than five people walking downthe same street, I have nothing to say. Of course, unless that one person is a cute gal and the five people are old women... XD But hey, that's off-topic. :P

But still, one thing I admit I have to dislike about Ice&Water is that normally, a large number of players are needed. Small games just plain suck. Imagine one Ice and two Waters. Boo. Imagine a hundred Ices and a hundred and fifty Waters. Whoohoo! Sounds like of fun! Count me in! :D But heck, how freaking long would such a game take, and how freaking big must the game area be? XD

Wait, why am I bothering to discuss tactics and strategies used in Ice&Water here in my blog...? Oh well XD

We got bored of playing catching soon, lol. No choice, they don't find it fun when I have the ability to run twice their speeds. :P We played hopscotch instead, but to be honest, 1.30pm is not really a good time to be playing hopscotch, especially since we use one slipper to play, so we find ourselves with one leg bare-footed, and the ground is hot due to the Sun heating it up... XD Besides, we keep missing the throwing part we find it too annoying to continue, lol.

We went to the badminton court at the park, but bleh, too much wind to have a proper game of badminton, so we instead went to the badminton court across the road, the one in which I always walk past on my way from school back home. There was a fitness corner nearby too, and to my delighted surprise, I found a familiar looking boy there. He's one of the guys whom I teamed up with while playing soccer five days ago, lol. He recognized me too, hehheh. Nearby are two women, whom I believe one of them to be his mother, scolding what looks like a Malay boy, for fighting. I asked him what happens, and it turns out the "Malay boy" who is being scolded is actually his brother, lol (oh my god, his brother went sunbathing a little bit too much, don't you think so too? XD), and he's being scolded because he had a fight, with his brother. Yeah, the two brothers had a fight. I'm thinking the younger brother (with the older brother my soccer teammate five days ago, in case you're confused about who is who :P) made the first move, because why else would the two women be so fierce on him? I don't know why I did so, but I comforted the older brother by lying to him that I have an elder brother, and I fight often with him [hey, it's a white lie, okay? :P Besides, I would want to have an elder brother who fights with me (fights as in using fists or weapons, trying to injure each other. Not fighting over the computer, fighting over the PlayStation, or those childish stuff XD), rofl XD]. Hey, it's good to fight once in a while, lol, as long as you don't go severely injuring the other guy, like cutting his hands off or something. :S Fighting is like playing soccer or basketball, you get to understand more of each other (particularly his fighting style and techniques), and it is often a good way to solve problems too, as long as the two of you know how to make up with each other immediately after the fight. ^_^" Yoshida and I once had a kicking battle at school, at the corridor outside our classroom, over some trivial reason too. We're still good friends after that, aren't we? XD Indeed, I find myself so proud that we fought, that my favorite school uniform is the one in which I wore while fighting against him, lol. How did I recognize which is which? Because Yoshida ripped out the front pocket of that particular uniform while fighting, rofl.

Enough of fighting, or your parents are going to think I'm trying to turn their dear and precious sons and daughters to turn violent or some other shit like that, lol.

I invited him to play badminton with the three of us, lol, using my badminton racket. He played quite well, lol. We played three different games, each time with different partners. After that, he has to leave, and the three of us went home as well too. XD

Man, I couldn't find any games inside my new laptop, lol, like those games you can already find inside XP when you get it, like Solitaire and Spider Solitaire, so I thought Vista doesn't come with any games. So during the night, I was rather bored and went around reading the Help and Support inside the laptop, rofl. Well, I can't help it, I realized that about out of the time I spent on the computer, I spent it doing online tasks, like surfing the Net or playing online games, 80% of the time, lol, and my wired connection has went haywired, and I don't really feel like using some strangers' wireless network... Hehheh, I feel bad doing so, you know... So, what do I do in the remaining 20%? I play Warcraft III in the remaining 15% (about only the offline game I play that I can spend lots of time on, lol), and my Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos disc got thrown away by my mother. -_- So I can't play any more, even though I already have the Warcraft III: Frozen Throne disc. -_- Tch.

So I started to conclude that Vista doesn't come with any games, lol. But damn, imagine my delight when I find that there indeed ARE games in Vista! I read it from Help and Support while looking around reading out of boringness, uh, what's the phrase again...? "Not installed by default", yeah, in Vista Business. -_- That's an insult to businessmen, especially those who don't look around the Control Panel or Help and Support, lol... (Control Panel because you need to install the games from there) I wonder how many people who bought Vista Businesses went to start and conclude that Vista doesn't come with any games, lol.

Vista comes with this thing called "Performance Information and Tools", where it can evaluate how well your computer can perform. This is nice, lol, now people can more easily tell whether the games they are going to buy are able to be played on their computers or not, due to stuff like lack of memory or unsuitable graphic card, lol.

I suppose I'll post mine too. Though, I gotta admit, I didn't buy this laptop with gaming in my mind... I was thinking of playing at most RuneScape using this laptop, lol, but heck, the performance is so good I realize it is a waste to not play games with it! X( I believe the subscore is out of 5.

Component - Details - Subscore
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz - 4.8
Memory (RAM) - 1.99 GB - 4.8
Graphics - Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family - 3.5
Gaming graphics - 358 MB Total available graphics memory - 3.5
Primary hard disk - 82GB Free (102GB Total) - 4.6

As you can see, graphics remain the main problem, lol. Oh well, I don't think I'll be buying games with superior graphics anyway. I can't stand the lag they generate, and also, remember that I didn't buy my laptop for gaming either... XD

There are nine games that came with Vista, namely Chess Titans, FreeCell, Hearts, InkBall, Mahjong Titans, Minesweeper, Purple Place, Solitaire and Spider Solitaire.

Chess Titans is just your average game of chess. You can choose to play against the computer, or you can play against a human, and when you play against the computer, you can set its difficulty level from 1 to 10, with 1 the easier and 10 the hardest. Though I gotta admit, I suck so much at chess I keep losing to even level 2. T_T

InkBall is fun, lol, though looking at the pen cursor used, I believe that it is a game best played on a tablet Pc... And that makes me sulk... I want a tablet PC... -.- Oh well. The game is still fun though, lol. You draw lines on the screen to lead coloured balls to holes of the same colour. Please, guys, no dirty thinking here. XD Sometimes, during the game, if there is a straight line path from the ball directly to the hole, I'd draw two straight lines bordering them, as to represent a red carpet, so the ball can directly travel to the hole. And then I'd think of Auron from Final Fantasy X: "The red carpet has teeth." And it becomes like this: XD



And then sometimes, when I draw a vertical "red carpet", I instead thinks of Hitsugaya's Thousand Years Ice Prison from Bleach, so I'd draw many freaking lines, and then write on the screen, "千年冰牢". XD Or sometimes if my "red carpet" is diagonal, then I'll draw lots of cresent-shaped lines, think of Ichigo's Sky-Piercing Moon Fang from Bleach too, and write on the screen, "月牙天冲". XD Whoa, I just realize something. "月牙天冲" literally means "moon fang sky rush (I prefer "pierce" though :P)", and together, "月牙" means cresent moon. O.O

I don't really enjoy Mahjong Titans, lol. Finding two identical tiles to disappear is tiring! I don't like Purple Place too. Just seems way too freaking childish. D:

Solitaire, yay! :D I like how they make it so that you can right-click the background to automatically return cards to suit stacks immediately, lol. Saves a lot of hassle.

No comments: